I’ve been eating a ton of junk lately and after this weekend, it was enough. I decided to try something new I’ve been seeing a lot of on Pinterest. They are called Buddha Bowls. They are vegan bowls layered and adorned with whole grains, veggies, fruits, and plant proteins. I’ve seen other forms of the bowls where they include meats and other non-dairy delicacies but they were originally created to be vegan. Think like a burrito bowl but vegan.
What I like about it is that it’s super easy to make and pretty f****g good. Here’s the recipe I used for my first Buddha Bowl.
- 1 zucchini
- 1/2 tomato
- 1 cup of spinach
- A bunch of green onions
- 1 1/2 cups of brown rice
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 avocado
1. I started by cooking the brown rice (1 cup of rice = 2 cups of water).
2. While the rice cooked, I started cutting up all the veggies.
3. When the rice was close to finish (like 30-35 minutes after I started cooking it), I poured a tablespoon of olive oil onto another pan under medium heat. I added the veggies (except the green onions). I mixed the veggies around and let them cook for about 6 minutes.
4. Once they were sauteed and cooked, I poured 1/2 cup of rice into a bowl and added the veggies on top. I garnished the bowl with some green onions, avocado and poured a liberal amount of Sriracha on top.
Ta-da! The finished product was good and I felt so healthy for eating it. I’ll definitely be incorporating this into my weekly routine from now on.
Have you tried making a Buddha Bowl? What are you favorite recipes?